Old 11-09-2007, 06:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default Looking for Free Fruit or Nuts Trees/Seedlings

wrote in
ps.com:

Hi!
I am want to replace several trees I had to cut down last
year or a couple that will probably need to come down in
teh next couple of years. I would like to plant some nice
fruit/nuts trees. Unfortunately, due to a very low budget,
I was wondering if any gardening lovers outhere had some
small trees/seedlings they would be willing to send my
way... I am very interested in European & American
Chestnuts, Hazelnuts, Multiple Fruit trees and edible
berries (Mulbery, current, etc.) and anything that could
produce an edible fruit.

i may have American Chestnut seeds. there are a *lot* of
seedpods on the tree, but, since it's an only child,
pollination tends to be low. i won't know how many actual nuts
there are until October.
this particular tree has had Chestnut Blight, but was pruned
severely & has survived (no sign of recurring blight in over
10 years). it has produced viable offspring, but none are old
enough to provide cross-pollination to increase the number of
viable nuts. if anyone else has American chestut seeds or
seedlings, i'd be interested in getting some genetic diversity
involved.
i also have black walnut seeds. i'll trade either/both for
blight resistant butternut.
lee where currants are illegal