Old 03-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Moss

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 11:32:53 +0100, Elaine MacGregor wrote:

Could anyone please tell me of an organic way to kill moss on a small, damp,
north facing lawn. I have spiked it, added sand to improve drainage and fed
it but so far no improvement.
The moss is very pretty but when it dries out in the summer I am just left
with a brown mess.

Aha. Last Sunday, I was just talking with my friend who is a
botanist at our local university. She and her husband conducted
an experiment on their own lawn to evaluate moss-control methods.

Suggested strategy as a result:

1. rake as much of the moss out of the lawn as you can. You can
put it into the compost.
2. cut the grass long, not short
3. apply lime and fertilizer in modest amounts

"Moss killer" fertilizer containing ferrous sulfate may help but
raking the moss out is (as written above) the #1 thing to do.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada