Old 11-09-2007, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg Chris Hogg is offline

Default Replanting a shrub bed

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 00:55:08 -0700, "
wrote:

I cleared a seriously overgrown bed of irises yesterday - anyone
having done this will know quite what a task it is to dig up all the
rhizomes ! A pick axe was required on one clump !

My query is that I have a number of shrubs in pots which I've
accumulated over the past year - can I just plant them out now having
cleared the ground fully, or should I let the ground lie fallow for
the winter.

If they've been in pots for a few years they may be pot-bound, so
don't forget to tease out the roots a bit before you plant them.

--
Chris