Old 11-09-2007, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Concrete Base for a Greenhouse

In article ,
"'Mike'" writes:
| "Bender" wrote in message
| Hi
| Just a quick question if anyone has the time to answer
| How many 25kg bags of ballast/cement to mix 1 cubic metre of concrete?
| Assuming a mix of 4:1 ballast:concrete
| I'm laying a base for a greenhouse and need about 3 cubic metres of
| concrete but I need to know how many bags of ballast/cement to order.
| I would have ordered in ready-mix but its just too far away from the
| drive to barrow/pump.
|
| 3 Cubic Metres?
|
| THREE?
|
| That is one hell of a lot of concrete. Me thinks you have something wrong
| there.

Made up out of 25 Kg bags of ballast, too :-) Either it is a commercial
sized greenhouse, of the sort that would fit neatly on top of my garden,
or it is a launch pad for the weapons of mass destruction that that nice
Mr Blair assured us are everywhere.

To answer Bender's question, ballast has a bulk specific density of
something like 1.5.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.