Old 03-04-2003, 07:32 AM
Ted Byers

Default RBG Orchid show in Burlington Ont

"brumman" wrote in message
om...
Thanks a lot Don and Ted - now I shall sulk for months. I was eagerly
looking forward to acquiring some of those bargains - especially the
RBG orchid society's own - I just can't understand how I missed this -
thought it would be in the autumn as usual. I do not think I'll be at
the SOOS show - don't like going to Toronto for anything - a place to
avoid if at all possible, even for orchids!
Derek, still fuming in Dundas

I guess I am immune, or insensitive, to Toronto's darker side. I was born
and raised there, and while a grad student at U.of T., I lived in one of the
toughest areas of the city. And one of the jobs I had as an undergraduate,
was that of a courier, so I know how to get around even the worst of traffic
in TO. It takes a real catastrophe to really hinder me there. While I
wouldn't live there now, that is because of the cost of real estate, and
there are still priceless places there I like to visit, such as the
university and its library, some of the larger bookstores, Edwards Gardens,
&c.

BTW: while parking is a royal pain in the downtown core, the show is at a
hotel in Don Mills, just about ten or fifteen minutes south of the 401, so
parking, and traffic, should not be bad at all.

But cheer up Derek. There is always the show in Guelph. As I recall, that
will be in September or October. It isn't a big as that at RBG, and will be
tiny relative to the one in Toronto this weekend, but it is still good and
interesting. I remember getting some incredible plants there last year, but
I don't remember seeing any real bargains like those especially on the RBG
orchid society's own table. And, of course, there is always next year.
Skipping this year means you can buy twice as many next year, right?

Cheers,

Ted