Old 12-09-2007, 07:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default "Why wont my apricot and peach seeds sprout?!?!?!..."

"Colonel Jake" wrote in message
"I figured I come to the professionals,...., I'm having
problems starting my apricot and peach seeds,...., first
I let the seeds dry themselves (after getting them from
the fruit), then I put them in a cup of purified water
setting on top of a sponges (with the water half way up
the sides of the seeds),...., I havent had any luck, I
have done this three time already, and not any of the
seeds have sprouted or anything,...., my question is?
do I have to add something to the water to get the
seeds to sprout, or? since the seeds came from store
bought fruit? are they any good?!?!?!..."

You're trying too hard. Mine sprout all around the garden in the most
unlikely places. If I was trying to sprout them, then I would do it in the
following way which is how I sprout all my trees (except I do something
slightly different with acorns) from seed. Get an old polystyrene vegetable
box from the green grocer - the ones that are more flat than deep and with
holes around the bottom. Fill with a rich moisture retentive mix hig in
rotted stuff (leaf mould or just well rotted weeds) spread out peach seeds
(don't bother cracking) top with an inch of soil, water well and top with a
very fine mulch that is about a quarter to a half an inch deep. Put in
dappled shade but out where it can be chilled over winter. Keep moist but
not wet. Seeds should come up next spring.