Old 12-09-2007, 04:26 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Bill Stock Bill Stock is offline

Default Shelf idea required

The original pond had a shelf for the lilies, but I had to dig out the shelf
to make a shaft for my bottom drain shutoff. My original thought was to put
a plastic tote on the bottom to form an artificial shelf, but the surface
area of the bottom is fairly small. By the time I add enough slope to the
bottom for a drain, stabilizing a tote could be problematic. I don't think I
can rebuild a shelf out of dirt, as I don't have enough room to slope the
sides. (The original shelf was chiseled out of clay, so support was not an
issue. Plan C was to bury some blocks under the liner and cover them with
carpet padding and dirt, but I don't know how safe this will be for the
liner.

I plan to see if I can dig the pond a little bigger and stick with my tote
idea, but any bright ideas are appreciated. How deep can Lilies be anyway?

Pond Update:
I found the damn drain pipe today! You may remember my indoor filter and
tunneling questions from a couple of months back. I finished digging the
tunnel about a month ago, but the other end had to wait until I dug out the
pond. Well the tunnel was not where it was supposed to be when I had the guy
excavate the for the shut-off valve. I drilled a bunch of pilot holes today
and finally found it about a foot off target.