Old 12-09-2007, 02:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Flowers for Spring?

here we have spring beauties. Claytonia genus

On 11 Sep 2007 20:53:36 -0400, Jim Kingdon wrote:
In my own garden, I'm also trying to figure out what the native plants
which come up first in the spring are, and incorporating some of them.
Here in the Washington, DC, area, that's things like Hepatica,
Mayapple (which comes up fairly early although it flowers later),
Sanguinaria, Trillium (a few weeks later), probably some others I'm
forgetting right now. (Your region may vary). But that's a bit more
investigation than just running out and buying some garden store
crocuses. Even when/if I have a lot of natives I doubt I'll give up
the crocuses entirely.