Old 12-09-2007, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(Normandy\) David \(Normandy\) is offline

Default Asparagus berries

AH! But you can have too much product knowledge :-((

Percy Whiting in his great book "The Five Great Rules of Selling" gives a
wonderful example of this of where a Salesman was losing accounts when he
learnt too much of how a thing worked and bored the pants of his
prospective customers instead of just what it did!! What will it do for
me? Is all that is wanted in selling!! Well,....... almost ;-)

Mike

A timely reminder! Years ago on a marketing course I was taught to sell
"benefits" not "features". However, it is so easy to slip into the trap you
mentioned. I was just thinking about a website I am going to design,
promoting some software I'd written recently. The problem being of course my
detailed knowledge about all the wonderful details of how the software works
and all it's technical features. The design I had in mind would have "bored
the pants off prospective customers" instead of teasing them to buy because
of "what it can do for them".

David.