Old 12-09-2007, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default Asparagus berries

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
AH! But you can have too much product knowledge :-((

Percy Whiting in his great book "The Five Great Rules of Selling" gives a
wonderful example of this of where a Salesman was losing accounts when he
learnt too much of how a thing worked and bored the pants of his
prospective customers instead of just what it did!! What will it do for
me? Is all that is wanted in selling!! Well,....... almost ;-)

Mike

A timely reminder! Years ago on a marketing course I was taught to sell
"benefits" not "features". However, it is so easy to slip into the trap
you mentioned. I was just thinking about a website I am going to design,
promoting some software I'd written recently. The problem being of course
my detailed knowledge about all the wonderful details of how the software
works and all it's technical features. The design I had in mind would have
"bored the pants off prospective customers" instead of teasing them to buy
because of "what it can do for them".

David.

I was at the Ideal Home Exhibition in Bournemouth a couple of weekends ago
and was interested in the Solar Panels for the roof. I am afraid the
salesmen were too technical on how the things were made to tell me the
advantages!!!

I have been asked by an MD to design a sales Course and give the Sales Team
a series of 'talks' to motivate :-))

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.