Old 12-09-2007, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Asparagus berries

David Rance writes
On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 John Vanini wrote:

I like to know the full story and hate being told to this or don't do that
without being given a good reason why. If I know why, I can make my own
judgements in future.

I quite agree! But this was a failing of the head gardeners and garden
writers of yesteryear which is why we had a generation of people who
followed the advice that they had been given without having the
slightest idea why. And then people said that they must be right
because they had been taught by such-and-such a person - and so the
ignorance continued.

I remember the same thing when I was a child. If I asked why something
was done, it was interpreted as a challenge. "Don't ask questions. Just
DO it!"

Not enough, though. Too many written instructions still say 'do this' or
'don't do this' without telling you the consequences if you disobey.
'Avoid alcohol while using this medicine'. Why? Will it make the
medicine less effective? Will it make me ill? Will it simply exacerbate
the effects of the alcohol? If the latter, then I'll stick with the
alcohol but just drink a bit less, or be a bit more careful.

I want the information to be able to make my own decision.

And while I'm on this rant - my train is cancelled, I can either go via
a different station or take a bus. So I ask the train information point
what time the train will reach my station. 'Oh, we don't have the
information about that. You'll have to go to the intermediate station
and ask there'. 'Will I be quicker by bus?' 'That is your decision
entirely'. How can I make a decision if I have no information to base it
on? Grrr.
--
Kay