Old 12-09-2007, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Keith[_2_] Keith[_2_] is offline

Default Hollow Tine Aerator

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 11, 7:16 pm, Ian Prideaux wrote:
Hi All,

This is driving me spare.
My lawn is very compacted, and the earth is full of clay.
I've got one like
this:http://www.gonegardening.com/xq/ASP/...1100119/refere...
and it's useless. First I had to cut off two of the tines, because I'm
not heavy enough to push all five into the ground (I only weigh twelve
stone). However, the major problem is that it keeps clogging up every

They do. The commercially available designs are weak and tinny and
clog up instantly. And if you were heavy enough to drive one into
solid clay you would find that it bends far too easily. I once had a 5
prong one. It wouldn't touch my soil without breaking.

five minutes. I'm sure that it would be fine if my soil was dry and
sandy, but then, if my soil was dry and sandy, then I wouldn't need one
of these.

Please can someone recommend me a hollow tine aerator that actually
works.

To have one that works and doesn't clog requires a sharp innner
cutting edge and a slightly wider bore pipe behind it to allow the
soil plug to move freely. Then the soil cylinder that is cut doesn't
stick to the sides of the pipe.

If you ask a local blacksmith to make one they can put a small piece
of sharp stainless steel pipe inside a marginally wider diameter mild
steel pipe and then weld on a foot plate and handle. This will work
but isn't cheap. And because of the expense it is probably best to
settle for a pogo stick version with a single tube blade.

Regards,
Martin Brown
I use the fork and waddle it around, keeps the beer belly down.