Old 13-09-2007, 04:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat Myrl Jeffcoat is offline

Default Lawn Pest Problem

On Sep 12, 8:32 pm, Charlie wrote:
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 03:16:20 -0000, Myrl Jeffcoat

wrote:
I think when I purchased my home over two decades ago, I made a large
mistake. I had decided to condition the soil by adding worms. But,
the kind of worms I purchased, were very large Earth Worms. As I sit
here today, those worms, have mulitplied beyond belief. They build
little "dome" like earth mounds throughout my lawn area, and make
walking across the lawn, feel like navigating across a waffle iron.

To add insult to injury, the worms, seem to have attracted a small
polulation of Moles. So, I have treated the lawn 3 times in the last
6 weeks with Ortho Lawn and Pest, trying to get rid of the Earth
Worms, and thus eliminate the food source for the Moles.

Somehow, I think I have this wrong. . .Because the Lawn and Pest
treatment, only seems to be a slight remedy to the problem of getting
rid of the problem. . .I still have tons of worms.

Any ideas?

Yeah.....stop trying to remedy your "mistake" with poison. Worms just
happen to be good for the soil, which by the way is being depleted at
an alarming rate. Have you ever considered how much food a stinking
manicured lawn could produce?

Poisoned worms kill birds. Poison kills babies and harms all sorts of
living creatures, including you.

How's the real estate business going, heh heh? Maybe you could shift
over to a bait shop business.

Worms and moles are a hell of a lot more important than lawns.

Charlie, Friend of EarthWorms, Moles and Other Living Creatures

FB......FFF.....- Hide quoted text -

Interestingly, I had an uncle back in Kansas, who had a vacant lot
next to his home, which once had housed a bait shop. The bait shop
was long gone, but apparently the earth worms remained. And yes, he
had a sign nailed to the tree, that he sold worms;-)

The real estate business has slowed significantly, which for me, has
been ok, since I welcome the slowdown, and available time to spend out
in the garden. But, I worry about a lot of folks who are hurting out
there, because of some of the mortgage predicaments they are in.

I tend to agree with you about the poisoning of critters. It's not
generally my thing. . .But if you could see what these varmints are
doing to my lawn, you wouldn't believe it. It looks like a mine field
- after the mines blew up!

I was hoping to "part out" these Earth Worms, and replace with Red
Worms instead!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com