Old 13-09-2007, 05:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Lawn Pest Problem

"Myrl Jeffcoat" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 12, 8:49 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Myrl Jeffcoat" wrote in message

ups.com...

I think when I purchased my home over two decades ago, I made a large
mistake. I had decided to condition the soil by adding worms. But,
the kind of worms I purchased, were very large Earth Worms. As I sit
here today, those worms, have mulitplied beyond belief. They build
little "dome" like earth mounds throughout my lawn area, and make
walking across the lawn, feel like navigating across a waffle iron.

To add insult to injury, the worms, seem to have attracted a small
polulation of Moles. So, I have treated the lawn 3 times in the last
6 weeks with Ortho Lawn and Pest, trying to get rid of the Earth
Worms, and thus eliminate the food source for the Moles.

Somehow, I think I have this wrong. . .Because the Lawn and Pest
treatment, only seems to be a slight remedy to the problem of getting
rid of the problem. . .I still have tons of worms.

Any ideas?

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Wow. I'm curious. That Ortho product came with not only a label, but
probably one which folded out to reveal at least one more "page", maybe
two.
In those instructions, which by law are very specific, did it mention
using
the product to kill worms?- Hide quoted text -

The Ortho product, mentioned fleas, ants, earwigs, and grubs. . .It
did not mention worms. I guess I was hoping that the worms would be
close enough cousins to the grubs, and take the bait;-)

However, I notice if I go out on the lawn with the hose on high power
stream, I can knock down the little dome things the worms are making,
and sometimes in the process, a few worms will surface, and I will
collect them up, and dispose of them. There is one section of the
lawn, that seems slightly improved because of this process. I also
suspect that the treatment is affecting some of the worms, but
definitely not all of them.

I haven't really seen a product that is "worm" specific.

Good. Please don't do that again, unless you receive a letter signed by
several thousand complete strangers, who say they're OK with drinking the
stuff you treat your lawn with. You have no idea whose water supply the
stuff ends up in eventually. But it does end up somewhere.