Old 03-04-2003, 09:56 AM
Alastair

Default Cooked my venus fly trap...

(Steve Harris) wrote in message ...
In article ,
(Kay Easton) wrote:

Er, I thought they were frost-tender?

Not venus fly traps. I've grown mine outside over the winter with no
trouble.

Ah, the The International Carnivorous Plant Society FAQ is wrong then.

[
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq2460.html says "Dormancy temperatures
should be chilly but not freezing. Do not let your plants freeze!!]

There are no hard and fast rules on this. I think it could be related
to the fatc that the US can get harsher winters than the UK. When it
gets below freezing it can stay there for days on end, while in the UK
we often get strong frosts but then a thaw during the day.
I guess it's safer if the plants don't freeze, but a bit of frost is
unlikely to kill them.

Alastair