Old 13-09-2007, 02:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Myrl is offline

Default Norway Maple - Northern California

On Sep 13, 5:44 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Myrl Jeffcoat" wrote in message

ups.com...

I recall a few months back that I was involved in a discussion about
replacing a tree in my front yard. During the discussion, I pretty
much decided to select a Norway Maple.

I'm nearly ready to purchase that tree, but have one more question.
Do any of you know, if Norwa Maples do well in Sacramento - Northern
California (no snow, but lots of summer heat)?

Thank you!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

In both of his excellent books, the late Henry Mitchell described the Norway
maple in terms similar to those used by people who find out that a
registered sex offender is moving in next door. Pick a different tree. I
can't recommend any.

When you contacted this organization using a telephone, and asked them about
other tree ideas, what did they recommend?http://cesacramento.ucdavis.edu/

You didn't contact them?

It appears that I will be contacting the Sacramento Tree Society.
They sponsor programs and give free trees, complete with education
about how to plant them. I've watched enough of my neighbors, who
have attended these sessions, and know how to dig the hole with the
little stoop, etc. But, I haven't really been impressed with the
quality of the "free" trees, they deliver.

However, I think now, it would be worthwhile for me to attend one of
those sessions - even if I were to select a good quality tree from
another source.

I have a little time. . .I still need to have a very old mistletoe
infested Modesto Ash removed.

I recall that I hoaned in on a Norway Maple, from a discussion on this
board a few months back. One of the posters, had said the Norway
dropped less "helicoptors" and seed pods, than the other Maples. I
think originally, I was thinking of a Silver Maple!

I'm still trying to figure out what an "invasive" tree does? Does
that mean it volunteers, and sends out seedlings far and wide?