Old 13-09-2007, 06:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default Norway Maple - Northern California

On Sep 13, 9:59?am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

The Norway maple will have a shallow root system, and eventually, nothing
will grow under the tree but weeds.

BS

People sometimes try and create raised
beds under these trees, filling the area with soil. The tree laughs and
sends its roots upward, thereby creating the same situation as before.

BS

It's
not a tree for a residential property unless the property is huge and you
don't care what goes on under the tree.

Whadadya mean what goes on, aintcha ever enjoyed getting laid under
the spreading chestnut tree? LOL

Um, that's true of any tree, small, medium, or large... they provide
shade, but plenty of plants like growing in shade, even in the
understory of a dense pine forest, and under a large shade tree makes
a great spot for a nicely planted water feature (much easier to plant
under a large tree than a small tree). The OP never mentioned having
limited space, why do you automatically assume he lives on a 40' x 60'
city lot.... could just as easily assume he lives on 5 acres, or
more... don't judge others by where you live, in someone's spare
bedroom... no, you can't plant a Norway maple tree in a pot on your
basement window sill. LOL

Since the OP asked about a Norway maple I would assume he knows how
large they grow, considered it, and knows he has the space. I've
planted many large growing shade trees, I have the space. Having a
spare acre it would look stupid if all I planted smack dab in the
center was a mugho pine... even an unthinking pinhead has to admit it
would make far more aesthetic sense to plant a Norway maple or even a
London planetree. And with appropriate pruning it's real easy to have
a beautiful thick lawn growing right up to the trunks of large shade
trees... you will see that in parks all the time... you've likely just
now searched and read some worst case scenarios but obviously have no
personal first hand experience. Large shade trees are gorgeous when
given adequate room (not eked out spare room), you reek of sour
grapes.

Large shade trees can even grow beautifully crowded close together,
even along city streets:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/65316/