Old 13-09-2007, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] helene@urbed.coop is offline

Default stealing from Garden Centres

On 13 Sep, 16:09, Anne Jackson wrote:
I'm treating this seriously, although you posted 'tongue in cheek'
because as far as I am concerned it is a _serious_ subject, Helene.
It was proved, some years ago (in a 'Panorama' programme, IIRC)
that a lifelong smoker pays much more into the Treasury funds
through taxation on cigarettes than even the most expensive,
worst possible scenario, cancer treatment costs. Sorry to shoot
down your argument, but the loss of bar takings, and the number
of bar staff made unemployed by the no-smoking legislation in
Scotland is _way_ above all the predictions. Ergo, more
'job-seekers allowance' is being paid out.

Off course. I was being a bit silly (but also it's therapy for me to
kid myself, know what I mean ;o)

I know of pubs that still let people smoke. I would like to still see
a choice, even though I've made a decision. My decision is personnal,
and I suppose is the case for all quiters. Don't worry about bursting
my bubble either - that's what conversation is about. In France this
summer it was funny to see that everybody was really pleased to tell
me that they also had a ban on smoking in public, however it is not
applied in restaurants, cafes and bars ... g

The number of bankruptcy cases filed by publicans is going to be
mind-blowing... so, somebody somewhere is going to pay.
People aren't going to be forced to stop smoking by government
legislation! Instead they are going to the off-licence and the
chip shop/pizzeria/kebab place, and eating and drinking at home,
where they can smoke in peace...and their non-smoking pals are
joining them!

Yeah. It's better at home anyway - I get to smell all that nice smoke
for free ;o)