Old 14-09-2007, 12:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Gene Schurg Gene Schurg is offline

Default Reality Check on an Orchid Light Solution?....

Oh....and if you need to keep them on the counter you can buy smaller shelf
units at Target that are only about 36 inches tall and could do the same
thing as the light stand.

Gene

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
Josh,

I have a solution for you.

Go to Target. Back in the shelving section they have a 3 feet wide x 15
inches deep black or chrome colored unit that is made of wire. These are
the same units that you might see in restaurants in the kitchen. They are
also available at other locations (container store, Home Depot, Lowes,
etc) but Target has the best prices. You can often catch them on sale.
They are about 72 inches tall with 4 or 5 shelves.

You don't have to use all the shelves.

Now go to Home Depot and buy 4 shop lights with 48 inch floresent tubes.
Only buy 2 shop lights if you have lower light plants. Hang the shop
lights from the shelf above the shelf that holds the plant.

I have been able to grow on three levels and the top shelf is available
for supplies or other things.

Have all the power cords at the same end of the shelving unit and put it
on a timer.

You can also buy wheels for this unit so you can move it around....like to
clean behind it.

You should be able to put this together for less than $100 unless you buy
really fancy light fixtures.

It gets the plants off the countertop and allows you to put them somewhere
else. Just bring them out when they are in bloom.

Good Growing,
Gene

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi folks. I'm new to orchids and new to this group. I'm hoping
you'll share your expertise on a lighting problem. I keep my orchids
on two Humidity Trays (each one is 29.5" x 13.5"). The trays are on a
kitchen counter up against a west-facing window (one window per
tray). Domestic issues dictate that no light units can hang from the
ceiling. (There is no other room in which to keep the orchids).

My proposed solution is to purchase a Sunlight Supply 4-foot
fluorescent Light Stand, which can raise a light unit up to 5 ft. (It
looks to be better quality than the Green Thumb/Jump Up unit). In
that way, I can remove the unit when company comes over and harmony is
maintained. This seems to solve my problem, but am I missing
something important here?

The stand does not appear to come with a fluorescent light unit. The
stand can take all of the Tek-Light T5, Light Wave T5, Satellite II
and Satellite IV grow lights. If you agree that this plan is
workable, what 4 foot fluorescent light unit(s) do you recommend to
hang on it? Given the dimensions of the trays, should I go for a 2
light or 4 light unit? I'm willing to spend some money to get a
quality unit and would appreciate any recommendations as well as some
good places on-line to buy it.
Thanks-
JS