Old 14-09-2007, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

Default Reality Check on an Orchid Light Solution?....

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 14:28:49 -0700, wrote:

Hi folks. I'm new to orchids and new to this group. I'm hoping
you'll share your expertise on a lighting problem.

The stand does not appear to come with a fluorescent light unit. The
stand can take all of the Tek-Light T5, Light Wave T5, Satellite II
and Satellite IV grow lights. If you agree that this plan is
workable, what 4 foot fluorescent light unit(s) do you recommend to
hang on it? Given the dimensions of the trays, should I go for a 2
light or 4 light unit? I'm willing to spend some money to get a
quality unit and would appreciate any recommendations as well as some
good places on-line to buy it.
Thanks-
JS

Save the money to take him out for a steak dinner and buy standard
fluorescent tubes. Run 4 tubes per shelf and adjust the height of
plants so similar heights and light needs are on a shelf. Then adjust
the light fixture to that height. Low light plants can sit beneath
some tall ones - but remember light decreases Radically fast as you
increase the distance. Ray has a good explanation -
Firstrays.com Lots of free info here - indulge yourself with a visit.
Also remember to date the tubes and change them out after 12 months.
If you move plants outside in the summer - that 12 months maybe across
a couple of calendar years. The timer is a requirement. I also
bought plastic by the yard at Hancock Fabrics and wrapped the open
face to hold up the humidity. Clipped it on with a couple of
oversized clamps that look like clip-on clothes pins and it comes down
easily.
SuE