Old 14-09-2007, 05:48 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
P Max P Max is offline

Default Dendrobium speciosum var. capricornicum

Nice one Dave! Neat. Compact. Symmetrical spray.
Peter

--
)
"Dave Gillingham" wrote in message
Opened a week or so too late for our show :-(
Though there were better plants of the variety at the show anyway. It's a
miniature form of speciosum (bulbs no more than 1' long) from the drier
areas of
central Queensland, coastal inland to the western parts of the Great
Dividing
Range. ie, for those who know Oz, from Yeppoon & the Byfield Range inland
through the Blackdown Tableland to Carnarvon Gorge. Some of the newer
restructures suggest the inland form should be one or more different
varieties
or species, & capricornicum should be reserved for the coastal form. No
idea
where in that region this one comes from.

Because of how chunky the bulbs are compared with their length, one of our
members calls it "speciosum on steroids".
Dave Gillingham