Old 14-09-2007, 06:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
George[_6_] George[_6_] is offline

Default Pondmaster Pump part #2

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
. ..

I'm sure a plumbing supply will have what you need, but keep in mind
that anytime you reduce the diameter on the output side of your pump,
you are going to induce back pressure.

Not the way we finally did it. A 1 1/2" hose leaves the pump and goes
into a T of the same size. On each end of the T are 1" reducers.... so
that's two 1" reducers = 1 1/2" into 2" together. This should not put
back pressure on the pump. See my post above.

How much depends on how much you reduce the
output diameter. Going from 1 1/2 inches to 1 inch reduces the output
diameter by about 33 percent,

That's not what we did! The 1 1/2" outlet goes into a 1 1/2" T. After
it leaves the T it has two 1" hoses so the water is split two ways ...
not reduced to a one, one inch hose.

increases the velocity of the water flow on
the output side within the 1 inch section of hose while decreasing the
volume of waterflow, which increases friction and pressure on the output
hose, and thereby increases the back pressure on the pump. I'm not sure
how much the back pressure will increase, but you could contact
pondmaster and ask them how much back pressure to expect and if it will
decrease the operating life of your pump, and, more importantly, if
doing so will void the warranty. My guess is that it will decrease the
operating life of the pump, but I'm not sure by how much.

Sorry, I thought I explained the water would be split two ways - not
reduced from 1 1/2' to one, one 1" hose. There are TWO reducers.... not
one.
--

I didn't think of that. You're right, that'll work.

George