Old 14-09-2007, 07:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Bill Stock Bill Stock is offline

Default Shelf idea required

"chatnoir" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 13, 8:26 pm, "Bill Stock" wrote:
"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in
oglegroups.com...

We have used milk crates, too. The area underneath is a good place
for smaller fish to find shelter.

Phyllis

Where does one acquire milk crates anyway? Did you have to weight them
down
as Black Cat mentioned?

I see them discarded all over the place! I bought mine at K-Mart! I
use a large flat stone I bought at HomeDepot to cover the top of each
crate! They are sold to be used Used as walkways! This way it covers
the top of the crate and provides privacy for the fish! You can Put
the opening to the bottom and provide shelter to small fish or put the
open end facing out to allow all fish to come under the shelf! The
crates are very strong and will not collapse! Mine float!

Thanks, I guess the question was somewhat rhetorical, but it's good to know
you can actually buy them. We don't have K-Mart here anymore, they got
bought out. I tried searching a few of the recycling sites, but came up
empty. I guess you have to be careful of what was stored in them if you come
by them second hand. Funny thing is that I handled a few thousand crates in
High School when I worked in the dairy for A&P.

They really sound like a good solution, especially if I add a couple of Koi
to the new pond.