Old 14-09-2007, 07:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
[email protected] secunda.josh@epa.gov is offline

Default Reality Check on an Orchid Light Solution?....

On Sep 14, 12:09 pm, "Manelli Family" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

HI folks - Thanks so much for the information. Per your advice, I've
divorced my wife. However, this hasn't yet helped my orchids. The
actual problem is that our house is Old and the kitchen windows offer
the only strong source of natural light. This is why they have to
stay on the counter. I'm also interested to hear you all say that
enhanced fluorescent grow lights are no better than the regular
tubes. That should save some $$s.
Regards-
js

I had friends with the same dilemma. The spent about $1000 to put in a
beautiful huge bay type window in a blank south facing living room wall. It
not only brightened a gloomy dark room but created a haven for their
tropical plants. Would this be an option for you?

Wouldn't work for me, I'm afraid. My present situation is sort of
nice-we have a huge kitchen stuffed with orchids. My only problem is
supplying enough light in addition to the natural light already
there. That's why I'm thinking that the stand I described and a 4
bulb reflector would solve the problem beautifully. When necessary, I
could simply lift off the reflector and put the frame in our
basement. When the party's over, everything goes back in record
time. It's also within my budget of circa $350 or so. It also solves
my other problem-no manual ability to put anything together
whatsoever! My only question is how to identify makers of quality
fluorescent fixtures for this purpose...People seem to like FarmTek
and SunLight.....