Old 14-09-2007, 06:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

Default Sowing a new lawn in UK - concern = LEAVES?

Bosseye wrote:

All,
Have just perfected 2000 sq m of soil ready for sowing quality lawn
seed. My concern is exactly when to sow, as there are still leaves on
the trees, and if was to sow now in perfect conditions, when the leaves
fall I'm worries they might stifle the new lawn, esp. as I'd not be able
to rake them away. Do I wait until all the leaves have fallen, after
which sowing time might not be best?
br/Bosseye

(BTW - these leaves come from surrounding trees - blown by the wind).

--
Bosseye

the Stihl BR400 backpack blower gets the leaves off the new grass
without the typical disturbance associated with tooth rakes. then
the Stihl HS85 vacuums and shreds with a 14:1 reduction ratio.
tools are a wonderful commodity. no tools, then no fun...

oh and as for the best time to seed. what's your average soil
temperature these days? different turf type seeds prefer certain
soil temperature for a high percentage germination.

best,
Jim