Old 14-09-2007, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Holes in the lawn

, I, Marvo, say :

writes
On 14 Sep, 09:36, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:
Slow worms?
Light, loose, well-drained soil, they need. Like it is now.
They are scary-looking things, and there are loads about this year,
I've seen literally dozens of them.

Yes, sounds like it very much indeed - my she cat keeps bringing them
in and I struggle with them as they're trying to escape through the
floor boards's gaps - terrifying stuff pulling on a slow worm,
beleive me. 'orrible stuff ((

You must have very big gaps in your floorboards.
Pulling on a slow worm is a bad idea since, like other lizards, one of
its defence mechanisms is to shed its tail.

Also I take to my garden at night with a torchlight, even when
there's no slugs - I love the nite life - it's amazing, and the slow
worms are always there, especially at the moment. They don't mind my
light it seems, but it's the 'feel' of perhaps scent of me that make
them retract in the earth.

Are you sure you mean slow worms?

Good question. If the slow worm in question has a big V on its back, perhaps
it's better not to tease it too much.