Old 15-09-2007, 01:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tomato wilt

Persephone wrote in message
news

This is the first year I have lost tomato plants to what
looks like Fusarium - Tomato Wilt. Some of the smaller plants
struggled and died, but about 1/5 of thetotal planting survived,
though even they are not exactly bearing up a storm. Only a few
cherry and grape tomatoes survived; the grape tomato fruit is
especially delicious.

I went to this Web site:

http://www.uvm.edu/extension/publica...sease/gd18.htm

which says the fungi survive in the soil INDEFINITELY!

Terrifying!

1. How can I get rid of them? Have to scrape away all soil?
How deep?

Plant the tomatoes in a different spot each year. Don't even think about
trying to remove the soil. That would be nuts.

2. Is it worth taking a chance planting the varieties that the Web
site says are more resistant?

Yes, but I've found Rutgers was not as resistant as claimed. Better Boy is a
great choice. I've got Brandywine this year, which in theory should NOT be
resistant, but it's doing fine.

2. What other vegs can I plant in that area that won't be affected by
the Fusarium wilt? Onions? Beans? What????

Too many to list. A google search will help.