Old 14-09-2007, 10:43 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Reel McKoi[_13_] Reel McKoi[_13_] is offline

Default Pondmaster Pump part #2

"Hal" wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:23:13 CST, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

Not the way we finally did it. A 1 1/2" hose leaves the pump and goes
into
a T of the same size. On each end of the T are 1" reducers.... so that's
two
1" reducers = 1 1/2" into 2" together. This should not put back pressure
on the pump. See my post above.

First let me say I think that is good. Pumps are made to move water
and some pressure is expected. However be aware, you are adding some
pressure by reducing from a single 1 1/2" pipe to 2 one inch pipes.
The square inch area of the inside of a 1 1/2" pipe = 1.767. The
square inch area of a 1" diameter pipe = .785 x 2 =1.567 with a
difference of .196 square inches in area and that difference allows
the 1 1/2" pipe to pass slightly more volume at the same pressure. I
calculate the difference at about 11%, but the practical applications
aren't always as perfect as the theory. Best of luck with your new
pump.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Thanks Hal. That is interesting. :-)

There really was no other way to deal with the problem of a 1" system and a
pump with an outflow of 1 1/2". It was either this way with the T, or
return the pump for one with a 1" outlet.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.