Old 15-09-2007, 04:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tomato wilt

"Joseph S. Larson" wrote in message
. ..
Sorry about your wilt problem - I have it too. As Joe says, plant
resistant varieties. Look in the catalog at the tomato listings: all
those with VF after the names are the ones you should choose. The VF
indicates resistance (not necessarily immunity) to Verticillium and
Fusarium wilts. Don"t put the vines on your compost heap. The
authorities say to bury them (Where??) or throw them in the trash. Be
sure to mulch the plants with hay or other good stuff like chopped leaves,
after the soil is well warmed up, to prevent spores splashing up from the
soil. Rotating them around the garden is necessary, as for all crops. I
have a three-year rotation, because I have 3 plots, and only plant
resistant varieties. Favorite one is Jetstar. Good luck! Wendy

How's the taste with Jetstar? Does it have enough acidity to still taste
like a tomato, instead of candy, like some hybrids?