Old 15-09-2007, 05:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone Persephone is offline

Default Tomato wilt

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 10:40:34 -0400, "Joseph S. Larson"
wrote:

Sorry about your wilt problem - I have it too. As Joe says, plant resistant
varieties. Look in the catalog at the tomato listings: all those with VF
after the names are the ones you should choose. The VF indicates resistance
(not necessarily immunity) to Verticillium and Fusarium wilts. Don"t put
the vines on your compost heap. The authorities say to bury them (Where??)
or throw them in the trash.

Urggghhh! Thanks for the heads-up. I don't think I've been putting
them in the compost heap, but will certainly NOT do it now; will put
out in trash (yard waste). Hope it does not spread the evil to
whatever the City does with yard waste!

Be sure to mulch the plants with hay or other good stuff like
chopped leaves, after the soil is well warmed up, to
prevent spores splashing up from the soil

Urgggh again! What a ghastly image!

In this area, soil doesn't cool off/freeze as in some other areas.
We plant all year round; time to start putting in "winter crops" like
snow peas, spinach, bok choy,etc. (these I put in a different area).

In the wilt-affected area, I ventured to plant green onions, so am
afraid to mulch before the little guys stick up their heads so I can
avoid them..

Rotating them around the garden
is necessary, as for all crops. I have a three-year rotation, because I
have 3 plots, and only plant resistant varieties. Favorite one is Jetstar.
Good luck! Wendy

Tx a bunch, Wendy for all the great info.

I feel like a dumb-dumb re-planting tomatoes in the same area.
Perhaps I let my guard down because have NEVER had Tomato Wilt before.
Now a believer!

Persephone