Old 15-09-2007, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default How much force to pull out a 4 inch dia beech tree ???

postandrail wrote:

Anybody any ideas how much force to pull out a 4 inch dia beech tree
???

Well its a beech hedge approx 6ft tall x 50ft long.

I have a handy 2 ft dia beech tree close by, and was thinking of
winching them out part way then cutting the roots as I go.
But how much force would be required, so I can judge on the strength
of the rope I need.

How long is a piece of string?
It depends on what soil they are in, how long they have been there etc.
I think you will struggle by just attaching a winch to the trunk, then
pullling at it. The strap will likely ride up the trunk as the trunk
bends.

Any advice please.

Dig round it as much as possible before trying to pull it out, cut
through any roots, then try to pull it out. I watched a JCB trying to
get out 6" tree trunk this week - even that couldnt get it out without
digging out one side of the stump before dragging it out with the
bucket.
Alan.