Old 03-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Setzler

Default Using Chives in the landscape

the deer probably won't eat the chives, but I won't guarantee that the deer will
be repelled by them. They'll eat what is next to them

susan

Pat Meadows wrote:

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 10:41:34 -0500, Gayle Surrette
wrote:

Bunny,

I have a deer problem and will be putting chives and
related plants in containers randomly throughout
the fruit orchard in order to keep the deer away
(supposedly they don't like the smell).

I bet the deer will eat the chives as well as the fruit!

When I lived in northern NJ, I had four dogs - two of them
very large male German Shepherds, one a shepherd-mix, and
one a little mutt.

The backyard had a chain-link fenced area for the dogs.

The deer there would come within SIX FEET of that chain link
fence - while the dogs were all there, barking and growling
hysterically, and leaping about - to eat the apples that had
fallen off old apple trees in our yard.

I don't think chives will keep deer away if four hysterical
dogs couldn't do it.

Pat
--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY