Old 15-09-2007, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
aquachimp aquachimp is offline

Default How much force to pull out a 4 inch dia beech tree ???

On Sep 15, 4:56 pm, postandrail wrote:
Anybody any ideas how much force to pull out a 4 inch dia beech tree
???

Well its a beech hedge approx 6ft tall x 50ft long.

I have a handy 2 ft dia beech tree close by, and was thinking of
winching them out part way then cutting the roots as I go.

But how much force would be required, so I can judge on the strength
of the rope I need. The winch is no problem as its 10 tons.

Should I use weebing or steel wire ???

Any advice please.

Urm, is this

(a) just 1 tree with a 4" girth, 6'height X 50' length, or

(b) are you saying the hedge is made up of 4" dia beech plants.

If (a) just how old is it.

How dry must the soil around it be buy now? That sort of compaction
over the years means there's no point in trying to winch it out in
one. You'll do more damage to the other tree from which I think you
plan to anchor the winch.

For (a) chop off all the side branches so you have just the full
central trunk left. Try to have no snags (cut clean to trunk as much
as possible), or they'll pester you later.

For either (a) or (b), get digging and be thankful it's not a more
deeply rooting type of tree. Chop those roots, dig out a trench,
under cut as much as possible. Shake the plant , *without doing
yourself an injury, lean the plant towards various directions. see if
it starts to give way.
At this point the winch may be useful, but only to help hold the plant
away from you as you under cut further. The strain on the roots from
the winch will help. Just watch out for spatterings of soil, it's a
pain in the ass to get a dart full in the eyes.

* = Not to be read as 'this bag of nuts may contain nut' but read as I
don't know how fit / agile / experienced you are with the work level
you will need to carry out so am suggesting you gently experiment a
bit first, so you neither pull a muscle, or fall straight over the
trench / tree..