Old 15-09-2007, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Muddymike Muddymike is offline

Default How much force to pull out a 4 inch dia beech tree ???

"postandrail" wrote in message
Anybody any ideas how much force to pull out a 4 inch dia beech tree
???

Well its a beech hedge approx 6ft tall x 50ft long.

I have a handy 2 ft dia beech tree close by, and was thinking of
winching them out part way then cutting the roots as I go.

I pulled out 30 yards of old Laurel hedge a few years ago with a Tirfor
winch. Just left 2 to 3 feet of trunk standing, attached winch, and heave
ho. No great problem, pulled out 5 or 6 stumps each evening for my daily
exercise. Many were over 6 inches dia they all came out.

Mike