Old 16-09-2007, 02:39 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gareee© Gareee© is offline

Default fall~is~here!

"MLF" wrote in message
Gareee:

Where are you at, Nome? Trees turning already?

Nope, Western NC in the mountains at 3,000 feet. Typically the mean
temperatures drop 5 degrees for every 1000 feet altitude gain. We had two
late freezes 2 weeks apart this spring, and then drought for the next 4
months. That's been VERY hard on all the plants here. We lost our japanese
maple, a evergreen tree (one of our christmas trees), and our dogwood. The
stream running through our property is TOTALLY dried up, and the creek
ajoining our property (usually 3-5 feet wide by a foot or so deep) is just
about gone as well.

For those reasons, leaves are just browning and falling off trees here..and
have been for the last 2-3 weeks. Normally in summer we can't see our
neighbors houses at all, and in winter, without th eleaves, can see then
clear as day. We noticed the last week in August we could already see one of
ther homes. Upside of course, is we literally only cut our grass and yard 3
total times this year! (and actually I'm in the process of doing the 3rd
cutting this week.) besause of full sun an dnow cloudy rainy days, algea has
been at an all time high, and the filter I built sprang a leak, so the pond
has been roughing it the last 4 or 5 weeks.

Oh.. our high today was 64 I think, the possible low tonight (and most of
the upcoming week) is 45 already!

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)