Old 16-09-2007, 08:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
David Hare-Scott David Hare-Scott is offline

Default sealing brick on house exterior

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm building a bed that will back up against the exterior of our house
and will be raised about 2 feet above the original soil line.
Naturally, I'd like to seal the brick to keep moisture out. What's
the best way to do this? Do I need a layer of cement to do it right?
Will black plastic suffice?

Thanks for any advice...

It depends on what is behind the brickwork and the level of the dampcourse
in the bricks. If you aren't sure get a builder's opinion. Only build up
gardens beds above the dampcourse if you want to ruin walls, plaster and
paint on the inside with damp, mildew and efflorescence.

David