Old 03-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Moss

"Annabel" wrote in news:b6h5u6$f7k$1
@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk:

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in
message ...

Aha. Last Sunday, I was just talking with my friend who is a
botanist at our local university. She and her husband conducted
an experiment on their own lawn to evaluate moss-control methods.

Suggested strategy as a result:

1. rake as much of the moss out of the lawn as you can. You can
put it into the compost.
2. cut the grass long, not short
3. apply lime and fertilizer in modest amounts

"Moss killer" fertilizer containing ferrous sulfate may help but
raking the moss out is (as written above) the #1 thing to do.

That is a years old standard treatment

Surely that doesn't mean that the news that someone has tested it
(presumably against a control or other possible methods), and proved it
to work, isn't a good thing.

There are lots of 'standard' gardening treatments, but that doesn't mean
they are necessarily the best/easiest/cheapest. I've certainly found
misleading gardening advice in books and magazines before now! (or at
least,'standard' advice that didn't work for me).

For example, I never have much luck pruning clematis exactly as the
books/labels say you should. When I do that, slugs eat all the young
shoots. I have found leaving some extra stalk in place lifts those young
shoots out of their reach.

And I know that real sweet pea experts plant theirs in autumn, but mine
get hopelessly leggy when I do that, whereas spring plantings work
better for what I want (not exhibition blooms, but some cheerful easy
plants)

Victoria