Old 16-09-2007, 04:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default Easy Recipe for Excess Tomatoes

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

Why don't you can them?
That is what mom always did. Tomatoes are one of the easiest fruits
there is to can...

When canning, do you leave the skins on? Do you remove the hard part at
the stem?

Skin and stems are removed.

The blanching technique for skinning makes it a piece of cake. :-)
I even skin tomatoes to use in cooking a lot here.

To blanch/skin a tomato:

Fill a small pot with water
Bring to a boil

Drop tomato into the boiling water.

Time for 10 to 15 seconds.

Remove tomato with a slotted spoon and immediately run under cold tap
water. (Depending on the size of the fruits, I'll do 3 or 4 at a time).

The skin just slips off if you do it just right. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.