Old 16-09-2007, 08:23 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
George[_6_] George[_6_] is offline

Default fall~is~here!

"Gareee©" wrote in message
"MLF" wrote in message
Gareee:

Where are you at, Nome? Trees turning already?

Nope, Western NC in the mountains at 3,000 feet. Typically the mean
temperatures drop 5 degrees for every 1000 feet altitude gain. We had two
late freezes 2 weeks apart this spring, and then drought for the next 4
months. That's been VERY hard on all the plants here. We lost our
japanese maple, a evergreen tree (one of our christmas trees), and our
dogwood. The stream running through our property is TOTALLY dried up, and
the creek ajoining our property (usually 3-5 feet wide by a foot or so
deep) is just about gone as well.

For those reasons, leaves are just browning and falling off trees
here..and have been for the last 2-3 weeks. Normally in summer we can't
see our neighbors houses at all, and in winter, without th eleaves, can
see then clear as day. We noticed the last week in August we could
already see one of ther homes. Upside of course, is we literally only cut
our grass and yard 3 total times this year! (and actually I'm in the
process of doing the 3rd cutting this week.) besause of full sun an dnow
cloudy rainy days, algea has been at an all time high, and the filter I
built sprang a leak, so the pond has been roughing it the last 4 or 5
weeks.

Oh.. our high today was 64 I think, the possible low tonight (and most of
the upcoming week) is 45 already!

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

The same thing is happening here in Louisville. I have a water maple in my
front yard that partially overhangs my house. With about 118 days over 90
degrees this summer, about 20 days of that over 100, the heat rising off
the roof combined with the drought conditions we experienced apparently
cooked the side of the tree closest to the house. All of the leaves on
that side of the tree have been falling of for the last five days. I'm
debating how bad the damage is, because it may have to come down. The oak
tree in the back yard appears to be fine.

George