Old 16-09-2007, 04:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default african violets

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
i have 2. one is getting a 'trunk' where it's gotten taller &
the leaves have died on the bottom. is there anything i
can/should do about it, or just let it go? the plant still
blooms like crazy.
also, the leaves on both are a bit dusty & cat fuzzed. is there
a way to clean the leaves? my mom always told me that african
violets can't get water on the leaves... if that's true, how do
they survive in the wild?
lee

Trunk: Nothing you can do about it. Time to take cuttings, root them, and
make new plants. It's just a little tricky, but you can do it. Google
search: rooting african violet cuttings.

Dirty leaves: Get a 1" artist's brush, not the softest, but just stiff
enough to feel "right" for brushing the dust off of the slightly fuzzy
leaves. Works like a charm.

Wild: I don't know.