Old 16-09-2007, 06:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default african violets

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 15:47:27 +0000 (UTC), enigma
wrote:

i have 2. one is getting a 'trunk' where it's gotten taller &
the leaves have died on the bottom. is there anything i
can/should do about it, or just let it go? the plant still
blooms like crazy.
also, the leaves on both are a bit dusty & cat fuzzed. is there
a way to clean the leaves? my mom always told me that african
violets can't get water on the leaves... if that's true, how do
they survive in the wild?
lee

Remove the AF, trim back the root ball, and set back (deeper) into the
pot. But, it won't hurt the plant to leave it as is--why not, it's
giving you flowers! Afs grow best in a pot no larger than 4". Clean
the leaves using a pipe cleaner with one end bent into a loop; or,
just use an old leaf to clean all the leaves.

Many fuzzy-leaved plants don't like water on the leaves. AFs may spot
if cold water gets on the leaves.