Old 16-09-2007, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Hawkins Jim Hawkins is offline

Default How much force to pull out a 4 inch dia beech tree ???

"postandrail" wrote in message
Anybody any ideas how much force to pull out a 4 inch dia beech tree
???

Well its a beech hedge approx 6ft tall x 50ft long.

I have a handy 2 ft dia beech tree close by, and was thinking of
winching them out part way then cutting the roots as I go.

But how much force would be required, so I can judge on the strength
of the rope I need. The winch is no problem as its 10 tons.

Should I use weebing or steel wire ???

Any advice please.

Hire a 'Tirfor' hand-operated winch from the likes of HSSHire.
I've pulled out many small trees with them.
You can anchor it to the big tree and it should pull out the smaller one
with ease.
The only problem will be ensuring that the strap round the small tree
doesn't slip up the trunk as the small tree bends over. Drive a few
six-inch
nails in the trunk if this looks like happening.

Jim Hawkins