Old 16-09-2007, 09:54 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Irrigation vs rainfall

I didn't want to hijack the Fall thread so started a new one when....

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 Gareee© wrote:

Nope, Western NC in the mountains at 3,000 feet. Typically the mean
temperatures drop 5 degrees for every 1000 feet altitude gain. We had two
late freezes 2 weeks apart this spring, and then drought for the next 4
months. That's been VERY hard on all the plants here. We lost our japanese
maple, a evergreen tree (one of our christmas trees), and our dogwood. The
stream running through our property is TOTALLY dried up, and the creek
ajoining our property (usually 3-5 feet wide by a foot or so deep) is just
about gone as well.

I just have to ask.... is water really expensive there?

Here nothing but sage, cactus and rocks would survive without us watering,
sometimes daily, not to mention deep watering trees with a soaker hose that
might run 12 hours.

Regardless of drought years (so far) most of us are able to keep our plants
alive and happy.

I do know it is different in areas where mother nature normally does the
watering. IE, I can remember Seattle (the wetside of WA) as a kid going
there about August and the grass of most homes would be brown. That was
normal for them... yet my grandparents, who lived quite a few years in
Yakima was never brown when we visited, because they used a hose and
sprinkler. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us