Old 17-09-2007, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Brussel Sprouts

"John Vanini" wrote in message
I was told that if Brussel sprouts are planted or sown in loose soil the
sprouts will not be tight but will be very open leaved and useless as
sprouts.

I've always ignored this and never bothered with tamping down the soil
but, this year, I had to pull up and throw away my row of sprouts because
they were so open leaved as to be useless.

Luckily, I planted a row of a later variety of Brussel sprout plants
sometime after I had the problem, still in loose soil, and these look
fine.

What I've was told seems to be true, however, but has anyone else more
experience of the problem and could it be caused by something else?

I'd be pleased to hear anyone else's experience as I can't see how the
firmness of the soil relates to the firmness of the sprouts.

Seems your info was right John!

I can't offer any knowledge on why they do that, but what I can tell you is
that if you cook up the sprouts anyway they make wicked Bubble and Squeak!