Old 17-09-2007, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(Normandy\) David \(Normandy\) is offline

Default Brussel Sprouts

"Jim Jackson" wrote in message
John Vanini wrote:
I was told that if Brussel sprouts are planted or sown in loose soil the
sprouts will not be tight but will be very open leaved and useless as
sprouts.
I've always ignored this and never bothered with tamping down the soil
but,
this year, I had to pull up and throw away my row of sprouts because they
were so open leaved as to be useless.

What a waste - sprout tops are wonderfull - almost better than the sprouts
themselves!

I've always understood this too.

Yes, the open sprouts or tops are often better than the tight sprouts
themselves. They make an excellent Winter green steamed or stir fried. We
only eat the light green leaves though not the dark green ones as they taste
too strong. They often grow right through into Spring providing an ongoing
source of fresh greens.

David.