Old 03-04-2003, 02:56 PM
JC

Default GIS software?

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 06:17:46 -0500, "Joe Zorzin"
wrote:

I just posted the following in comp.infosystems.gis.
******************************

I'd really like ArcGIS (I'm a forestry consultant) but can't afford their
outrageous prices. So, I'm considering either MapMaker or Manifold. I've
downloaded the Gratis version of MapMaker and I'm having a problem getting
it to print- but I'm sure I could solve that problem if I really tried. I've
spoken to the company and they've shown an interest in helping to solve it.

I was hoping that Manifold had a similar stripped down program, but no luck
with that. Basically, I'd like to bring up ortho photos for a base map- use
GPS on property corners, then upload those to the photos- then layout cruise
plots which could then be downloaded to the GPS- use the software to do
stand typing, acreage calculation, etc.

I'd also use the GPS to track trails, etc. I don't think I really need
ArcGIS, other than it's the standard software and it would be nice to have-
it would almost certainly be overkill.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Joe'
Have you considered ArcView 3.3. Unless you have some other more
exotic applications in mind, it woul;d seem to do everything you
specified. I kinow there are rumors that ESRI will phase out support
for this product and I don't have any information about that. However,
3.3 is based om Arcview 3.2, a fairly stable product. I believe the
only major change is in the projection engine. Not full-featured, but
a little more reasonably priced.
JC