Old 18-09-2007, 02:50 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
chip chip is offline

Default Filter recommendation on 5000 gallon pond

David Starr wrote:
On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 06:59:06 CST, "John Arruda" wrote:

I'll be building a 5k gallon pond this spring and need to know what type of
filtration others are having success with.....
Should I build a filter or buy commercial which should run roughly $1500??

Thank you

What will the dimensions of the pond be?
The dimensions will determine how many bottom drains you'll need, and the size
of the settlement chamber before the filters. Normally, the settlement chamber
is 10% of the pond volume or more. There should be a mechanical filter after
the settlement chamber and the skimmer, then biological filters after that.

I thought I had read just about all the requirements for plumbing a
large pond, but this is something new. I never heard of a "settlement
chamber". Is this a "pre-filter"?

I am planning several bottom drains and a skimmer, to run through a
large pool sand filter w/ backwash capabilities, then to a veggie or bog
filter, finally over a stone lip to a waterfall back to the pond. Are
you saying I should have a "settlement chamber" and/or a pre-filter
before the sand filter?

Chip