Old 18-09-2007, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default OT. Help filter the crap

HI Martin

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 00:03:50 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 22:53:00 +0100, Adrian wrote:

HI Chris

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 19:52:35 GMT, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

David (Normandy) wrote:

Don't think so. I've looked at all the features in OE and there is nothing
suitable.
I'm thinking of changing to another email reader such as Forte Agent.
It looks like it has features to automatically delete all the cross-posted
rubbish.
Anyone know if this is any good or can recommend another newsreader from
experience?

I can confirm that Agent can certainly filter out cross-posted
rubbish, and it has kill filters that can be as fancy as your
imagination allows.

Interesting - I'm running Agent (V3.2) , but can't see how to block
x-posted stuff..... can you elaborate please ?

In Agent 4,2

"When does Agent check for crossposted messages?

By default, Agent checks for crossposted messages only when you retrieve new
headers (for example, when you retrieve new headers in selected folders). Thus,
if you retrieve *all* headers in a particular folder, Agent does not remove any
crossposted messages. This is to allow you to retrieve all headers if you want
to. There is an option on the Folder Properties dialog to enable crosspost
checking for all header operations"

Folder Properties
Receieving messages
Usenet Crossposting

Ah - thanks for that.
Unless I'm missing the pojnt - that facility saves you from
downloading the same message in several newsgroups - which is fine.

I suspect the 'magic bullet' I was looking for was something that said
' Hey - this message has been crossposted to more than three
newsgroups - which you may not be actually monitoring - but it looks
like a garbage post ' - though, on reflection, that's probably asking
rather a lot of the software g

Thanks
Adrian