Old 18-09-2007, 12:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
FragileWarrior FragileWarrior is offline

Default what's this herb?

Sheldon wrote in news:1190082725.675644.321460
@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

On Sep 16, 7:18?pm, FragileWarrior
wrote:
Sheldon wrote in news:1189959368.246740.36340
@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

On Sep 16, 8:45?am, wrote:
I have a herb growing in my garden and I haven't a clue what it is
(but it smells lovely!)

Could someone identify it, please?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/85947342@N00/1391956438/

If you don't know what it is how can you say it's an herb, and I
wouldn't assume a culinary herb unless you can describe how it

smells
better than "lovely". Have you tasted it, you'd know rosemary right
away. At first glance those long narrow leaves look needlelike so
they somehat resemble rosemary needles but I think not. Rosemary is
bushier and dosen't branch like that and would have bark, nor are
their needles on its primary branches. And then again there are

other
plants in that picture, perhaps I'm focusing on the wrong one...
there's one there that sure looks like thyme at first glance but now
I'm leaning more torwards pyrocantha, but perhaps not. Your photo

is
kind of crowded and doesn't depict detail very well... you need to
also include a tight close up of whichever plant your talking about.
It would also help to know what planting zone you're in.

The simple answer, of course, was: Rosemary.

What's with the commas and colon? Do you stutter.

No, I did it to annoy anal-punctuation-retentives. Thanks for letting me
know it worked.

That plant is not rosemary, simple.

The owner of the plant says it IS -- even simpler.