Old 18-09-2007, 12:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default Black Walnut Seeds

Myrl wrote in
ups.com:

On Sep 16, 4:23 pm, FragileWarrior
wrote:

Be aware that Black Walnut is not condusive to other
plants grown near it. That means no vegetable garden and
most flowering plants. If you want Black Walnut, fine,
but don't expect anything else to grow around it. Look
up: juglone
orhttp://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1148.html

I lived in a house that had one Black Walnut and a couple
of English Walnut trees. You're right - absolutely nothing
would grow under the Black Walnut. We ended up pouring a
nice patio around it. The English Walnuts weren't much
better, but I did manage to have a nice garden of Calla
Lilies under one of them. I was certain to try to keep any
falling leaves from the tree, gathered and raked up
however!

i have a Chinese dogwood as understory to my bigger black
walnut & it's doing very well. the walnut is around 40 years,
& the dogwood is about 30. they are less than 3' apart.
OTOH, there used to be an apple tree near the walnut & as the
crown began to overhang the apple's area, it died back. i
recently cut it down. and the blueberries are also dying back,
but that could be because they're in pretty heavy shade from
the sugar maples, as well as the effects of juglone.
the younger black walnut is in my 'winter' pasture & i *wish*
it would kill the weeds that grow under it

lee